By Level 2, players possess the skills necessary to play in the school band or
orchestra, and they should have already performed in public in solo and ensembles. The
sense of accomplishment can be great, but with it should come more awareness of what needs
to happen for continued improvement.
Practice should be thirty to forty-five minutes every day, in addition to ensemble
rehearsals. The practice session should include these three different types of playing:
1. Tone-building, scales and other technical exercises.
2. Etudes or other assignments from method books.
3. Solo and ensemble music.
The amount of time spent on each may vary depending on upcoming performances or other
factors, but it is important to practice everything each day. As the player progresses in
Level 2, practice should increase to one hour each day.
The student should also take advantage of every chance to hear other horn players.
Listening to fine players is the best way to develop a concept of sound and styles, and to
develop awareness of the difference between good and bad playing.
Level 2 is a good time to begin playing in horn ensembles. The studio teacher should
organize group lessons to work on ensemble pieces and help the players develop the
important skills of ensemble playing: leading, following, intonation and playing together.
During Level 2, the player should:
1) develop range to at least two octaves, and know chromatic fingerings throughout that
2) know major and minor scales and arpeggios up to three sharps and three flats;
3) increase tonguing capabilities to include effective staccato, tenuto and marcato
4) expand dynamic abilities to include pp and ff, while maintaining good sound and
Burkhardt -- Little Rondo
Datshkovsky -- Lullaby for Alexandra
Grieg -- Solvejg's Song (from Selected Songs Vol.1, Thomas Bacon, editor)
Handel/Fitzgerald -- Thus When the Sun
Horvit -- Chaconne and Burlesque
Molina -- Interlude
Schudel -- Etchings
Solomon -- Night Song
Solomon -- November Nocturne
Solomon -- Waltz Theme
di Lasso/Howe -- Exaudi Deus
Lively -- Three Short Pieces
Solomon -- In A Minor Mood
Solomon -- In Excelsis Deo
Solomon -- Two Festive Songs