A Horn Player's Study Guide
by Thomas Bacon
Study at Level 5 (if not already at Level 4) should be under a master teacher. If at a
conservatory or university, the student should select the school itself based on the
strengths of that teacher. In choosing a teacher, there are many important questions to
- Does this teacher help me play better?
- Can this teacher help me overcome all of my weaknesses on the instrument?
- Is this teacher open to many ideas and styles of playing, or is there only one way to do
- Do I respect this teacher as a person as well as what he or she has accomplished
- Does this teacher have the necessary experience, wisdom, and contacts to guide me
towards the goals that I want to achieve?
- Does this teacher inspire me to be the best that I can be?
Continue developing and refining the practice routine to achieve ease in all areas of
playing. Not only is it important for maintaining the abilities that we have achieved, but
one of the best ways to fix fundamental problems is in basic exercises -- musical
calisthenics -- some of which we might have learned at Level 1 or 2.
During Level 5, the player should:
1) develop range to four octaves with consistent tone at all dynamics throughout the
2) become proficient in sightreading, and be able to transpose and read different clefs
3) be fluent with lip trills, hand stopping, multiple tonguing, and flutter tongue, and
be able to use these techniques easily;
4) have an understanding of music theory and be able to analyze different musical
5) study music history and understand different periods and styles and be able to
perform them appropriately.
Farkas -- The Art of Brass Playing (now available through Wind Music)
Schuller -- Horn Technique
LEVEL 5 - ETUDES AND STUDIES
Gugel/Gumbert -- 12 French Horn Etudes
Pottag-Andraud -- 335 Selected Melodious and Progressive Technical Studies, Books I
& II (the "Blue Book" & the "Red Book")
Schuller -- Studies for Unaccompanied Horn
Beethoven -- Sonata, opus 17
Beversdorf -- Sonata
Busser -- Concert Piece in D
Gabelles -- Concertino
Horvit -- Circus Suite
Mozart -- Concert Rondo, K.371
Mozart/Sansone -- Sonata VI
Strauss, Richard -- Concerto, opus 11
Uber -- Sonatina
Verdi/Bacon -- Caro Nome from Selected Songs Vol.2
LEVEL 5 HORN ENSEMBLES
Bach, J.S./Miller -- Brass Duet Notebook, Vol. 2
Bach, W.F./Miller -- Brass Duet Notebook, Vol. 1
Franz -- 100 Duets - Book 2
Bacon, editor -- 88 German Quartets
Gallay -- Grand Quartet
Handel/Martinet -- Music for Royal Fireworks
Richter -- Six Pieces for Cors de Chasse
Wagner/Wilcox -- Siegfried's Funeral March
Bach, J.S./Oldberg -- Prelude
Bach, J.S./Shaw -- Prelude and Fugue in a minor
Verdi/Martinet -- Manzoni Requiem
Levels: Intro | One | Two | Three | Four | Five | Six
price in Hornplanet Store!
The Orchestral Audition Repertoire
Comprehensive and Unabridged